Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Modern conveniences

Moving always reveals your deep dark secrets. You find things that you forgot you had, hidden away in drawers, the back of a closet, beneath the pile of laundry. It also can bring out the side of yourself that you try to keep hidden, the mean, anal-retentive side. The side that gets annoyed when things aren't packed a certain way or dusted before they are moved.

Anyway back to the subject...

There are so many things that we have that we don't need. Of this list of unnecessary things there are items that I love, and items I wish I could get rid of. On the list of things that I love are small kitchen appliances. Because of the size of our old kitchen, many of these little treasures were hidden away so deep that I forgot we had them. OR I knew we had them, but it was such a bother to dig it out, use it, clean it and put it back that they rarely were used. As I was packing up I compiled a list of all the small appliances and vowed to use them in the new house. But for many of them, I'm just not sure what to even do with them. So I am asking you all for advice! Below is my list of small appliances with their past frequency of use. Please leave your ideas about how we should use them in the comments. I would also appreciate off-the-wall ideas (if you only knew how seriously I am thinking about using my blender as a door stop . . . ) Maybe when we get around to using some of the ideas I will post the results!

  1. Toaster - Frequency: Often
  2. Mini Food Processor - Frequency: Often/Occasionally
  3. Panini Griddler - Frequency: Occasionally/Rarely
  4. Stand Mixer - Frequency: Occasionally/Rarely
  5. Crockpot - Frequency: Rarely
  6. Electric Fondue Pot - Frequency: Rarely
  7. Sandwich Press - Frequency: Rarely
  8. Frother - Frequency: Rarely/Never
  9. Blender - Frequency: Rarely/Never
  10. Waffle Maker - Frequency: Rarely/Once
  11. Instant Hot Shot - Frequency: Never/Still in box

6 comments:

  1. One of the nice things about this house (amongst many) is that we have places to put all of these appliances! in the old place, everything lived on the counter or the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Toaster - I'd use for toast, mostly.
    2. Mini Food Processor - that you should give to some really nice friends of yours... or, when you put in your herbs, you will find a use for it, especially if you love fresh pesto.
    3. Panini Griddler - that should go somewhere where you entertain, like the entertainment room, so you can say, "Panini Griddler". Also, I think Mayor McCheese caught him with the Hamburgler at a beef heist in Venice once.
    4. Stand mixer - make shakes and freezes. Like, every day.
    5. Crockpot - make yogurt! We do, and use it about once/week now. No joke.
    6. Fondue pot - give that to a couple of doctors leaving for Pennsylvania?
    7. Sandwich Press. You can iron with that, no?
    8. Frother - will come in handy at April Fools/Halloween? What the hell is a frother?
    9. Blender - see #4, or give it to somebody who like to wash dishes (ie., not us).
    10. Waffle maker. See #9. Kidding, except for the washing part. You can iron with it, no?
    11. Instant Hot Shot. I say, keep Charlie Sheen in the box. Also, see the second half of #8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 a stand mixer is like a mega egg beater, you use it for mixing doughs and similar things. It does have an ice cream attachment though! we just do not own it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5. You can make yogurt in a crockpot?? My friend gave me some of her home made yogurt and it was the best thing ever! Of course she made it in an actual yogurt making appliance so I didn't think I could make it. Do you have directions for the crockpot method?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Fashion House - ah! Like a Kitchen Aid. Those are awesome. Make bread and definitely definitely buy the ice cream attachment. And the meat grinder, and the sausage maker.

    abby normal - Here are the directions:

    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

    This is the reason the internet was invented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, we'll be making yogurt tonight!

    ReplyDelete