Monday, March 30, 2009

rant

The only problem with starting a blog about home ownership is that you are very often too tired to post anything substantial! Maybe we are just not dedicated enough to blogging but honestly we have been working our fingers to the bone. The last thing I think when I get back to the apartment is "let me blog about all the work we did today." And when you are on hour 11 like David was yesterday, it is a wonder we can even stand let alone sit down and blog something!

So when we started this whole process I think we both had millions of ideas about what we would like to do. One of my ideas was to try to use some of the fun new 'green' methods for home renovation. I bought the organic cleaner. I tried to find out about recycling all the things we would otherwise be throwing away. I looked in to low VOC paint. But when it came down to it it just didn't work out. Most of this stuff we just can't afford. Low VOC paint is literaly twice the cost of the paint we bought. You want to buy carpet made from corn? They make it! But is is twice as much as the carpet we ended up with. With where we are at now finacialy it just didn't work to use these methods on the large scale.

The part of being 'green' that generally interests me the most is the reusing more instead of buying new. I thought about reusing the carpet pads, but they smell like dog pee and I'm sorry but that is just not going to work out. We weren't able to find any 'oops paint' at the store either.

So all in all it has been rather frustrating. Especially when you are tired and the clock is ticking and your credit card bill is on the rise, it is hard to take time to really think 'green'. Maybe I will have better results down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment