Saturday, March 7, 2009

Seedy

In celebration of getting our keys yesterday (which did not happen), I excitedly ordered some seeds online from Johnnyseeds.com a company I had read about a few times before in various garden fora. I ended up getting Fennel, Leeks, cucumber, two types of tomatillos, muskmelon, watermelon, cilantro, and zucchini. I ordered them online because I have never seen fennel seeds locally, and you only have to walk along the river in summer time to know they grow well here.

We will see how those turn out when they arrive and get planted. I also plan to get some nasturtium seeds, and tomato seeds locally, since I know I can find them. Any other suggestions?

Since we do not have the garden beds built yet, no full grown plants have been ordered yet. Abbynormal and I agreed that we would not get every plant and tree that we want all at once, since we have so much prep work to do before they can get in the ground. Once we are more situated, we can plant the various other trees and bushes. Unfortunately, that may mean waiting until next spring.

I plan to order the blueberries (5 plants), hazel hedge (5 plants) and some raspberries and blackberries. These would come from Raintree Nursery, which is where I ordered blueberries for my dad a few years ago.

We will have to wait for the orange tree, guava, fig, and others.

I wish we got the keys yesterday! Then I could be working on the house, instead of taxes and car stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys, congrats again on getting your first house. Keep the posts coming because we'll be checking it frequently as a preview of things to come.

    ReplyDelete